BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

project 1 underway!


I love a new project. There is some type of fascination about the excitement of producing something potentially beautiful. The fear of failure is involved in each decision. It is a cycle of elation and frustration, intertwined with meandering directions and new terminology.

The first project I chose to potentially fail at was an apron. Wal-mart so thoughtfully packaged these lovely fabrics together in a little bundle, each cut into a 18x21 piece. I chose two fabrics for the body of the reversible apron from the above choices. Two more fabrics were chosen for the reversible pockets which left one for the waistband. There were supposed to be cute buttons on the pockets, but the cat has hidden them somewhere in the house or the litter box. I left off the "rickrack" (whatever that is) and really didn't bother reading many of the directions, hence, I learned how to use a seam ripper well.

Here are some pics along the way:
A semi-straight stitching job even with a 1/2" pleat.

Showing off the body sewn together. Even the cat looks impressed. Little did I know, it would be ripped back apart!
Squares cut for reversible pockets. 6"x8"

Pockets sewn together. Minus buttons...
The seam ripper. My best friend.Strips of fabric cut for the waistband. 4.5"x21.

And all the strips sewn together.The waistband being sewn on the reverse side to hide the seams. How fancy!

The last stitch!
The final product, side one.
The final product, side two!
Since this was not a complete failure, I think the sewing will continue. Now what?

4 comments:

Fran said...

FANTABULOUS. Job very, very well done!

Um.... Matching potholders? Jewelry pouches? A tea cozy? That's all I could manage! What about a quilt? Scarf made out of Chinese silk? Etsy, here you come!

Fran said...

PS. Mike says it's pretty.

Unknown said...

I'm picking up sewing as well, and want this to be my first main project.

http://www.filminthefridge.com/2008/08/28/to-market-to-market-a-market-bag-tutorial/

Anonymous said...

Very impressive. You always have been very creative and artistic! Well done. I knew you could do it!

Leigh